Recently, a transhumance event took place in Spain that bewildered many tourists and passengers on the road. The event took place in the capital of Spain. During the event, Spanish shepherds made their way to the roads with thousands of sheep. The event was organized in oppose to urban sprawl and in defense of ancient grazing, migration and droving rights.
About 2,000 sheep were seen crossing the central Madrid. The traffic at roads was hindered by the sheep. The event takes place every year. Handful of shepherds takes part in the event. The event has been supported by the Ministry of Agriculture.
It is believed that modernization has limited the involvement of animals in agriculture. Shepherding proves costlier to the farmers. However, the centuries-old sheep rearing event is quite popular in Spain.
The event was first organized in 1994. Since then the shepherds have been promoting the event. Through the event, the shepherds promote the age old culture of migration in which 78,000 miles are covered by the Shepherds for seasonal livestock migrations. During this event, the livestock are migrated from highland pastures in summer to warmer grazing in winter.
Today's popular content
- Repsol Board Approves $5-bn Settlement with Argentina
- Number of Registered Unemployed people in Spain Reduces
- Spanish economy finally returns to growth
- Spain to Increase Security at Borders Dividing Ceuta and Melilla from Morocco
- Spanish and Panamanian Governments to Get Canal-Expansion Project Back on Track
- Spain’s Government Approves New Rules to Help Struggling Companies
- ISS Captures Beautiful Images of Spain
- Campaigners Warn about Environmental Threats from New Oil-Prospecting Projects
- A young cancer survivor dares Spain train mishap
- Walk is Beneficial for COPD Patients: Spanish Study